He ran on a platform of “change.” He promised the change that everyone wanted. Unfortunately, nothing has changed. Innocent people in Pakistan are being killed by US drone strikes and it seems as though the Pakistani government doesn’t mind. Innocent women, children,and elderly are being murdered by US drones in the name of “war.” If one thing doesn’t lie, it’s the stats. This episode of the Greed for Ilm podcast I share some stats that hopefully opens your eyes to the true horror that’s being carried out by the US in the name of “war.”
In addition, in this episode you’ll find out about:
- President Obama’s drone strike policy.
- Drone strike death count.
- Vast negative impact of drone strikes.
The Bureau of Investigative Journalism estimates the following cumulative statistics about US drone strikes (as of January 2013):
- Total strikes: 362
- Total reported killed: 2,629 – 3,461
- Civilians reported killed: 475 – 891
- Children reported killed: 176
- Total reported injured: 1,267 – 1,431
- Strikes under the Bush Administration: 52
- Strikes under the Obama Administration: 310
The Youtube clip used in this episode where President Obama defends drone attacks can be found here. Here is a great infograph showing current drone statistics. It’s extremely sad and disheartening when you vote for someone who ran on “no drones” and soon realize that drone attacks are actually increasing under their administration.