Yassmin Abdel-Magied, Founder of Youth without Borders, joins me this episode to talk about cars, oil rigs, hijab, and her Ted Talk titled, “What Does My Scarf Mean to You?” which currently has over half a million views.
About Yassmin Abdel-Magied
2015 Queensland Young Australian of the Year, Yassmin Abdel-Magied is a mechanical engineer, social advocate, writer, and petrol head.
She advocates for the empowerment of youth, women and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Yassmin is also deeply passionate about diversifying public voices, connecting people and catalyzing change.
At sixteen, Yassmin Abdel-Magied founded Youth Without Borders, an organization focused on enabling young people to work for positive change in their communities.
In 2012 she was named Young Leader in the Australian Financial Review and Westpac’s inaugural 100 Women of Influence Awards. Born in Sudan and moving to Australia at the age of two, she graduated top of her university year in 2011 with a Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (First Class Honours), and was a recipient of the University of Queensland’s Dean’s Excellence scholarship. In 2007, Yassmin was named Young Australian Muslim of the Year for her work in the community and in 2010 Young Queenslander of the Year.
She serves on various state and federal councils and is currently works as an engineering specialist on oil and gas rigs. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, having a yarn, football (Liverpool FC!), Formula 1, boxing and is saving for her first V8.*
Questions and Links Mentioned In This Episode
- How did you become a “motorsport maniac”?
- What is your favorite sports car?
- How did you get a job on an oil rig?
- What is “Youth without Borders”?
- What’s the story behind your Ted Talk?
- At what age did you start wearing the hijab?
- Was it hard growing up in Australia wearing the hijab?
- Was there a point in time where you wanted NOT to wear it?
- What are your thoughts on countries that ban the hijab like France?
- What is the “CVE HackAbout”?
- Youth without Borders
- What Does My Scar Mean to You? (Ted Talk)